Sunday, April 17, 2011

Blast from the past.

Apologies to my faithful readers for this late and overdue post. I've been working (more poo shoots yes but also a little bit of plating up and salad tossing), sick (sinus infection....been an attractive week for me) and the best excuse of all TAFE holidays!

SO since I've had a week off the last time I was at college was nearly two weeks ago now and we cooked foods that to me, did not go together well at all. Eggs florentine but instead of a hollandaise sauce over the top which I thought you are meant to have, we made béchamel sauce. This makes me think this is in our practical exam coming up because Chef made us practice it just like the sauce anglaise which she is drilling into us because most of us in class make scrambled eggs. We also did poached pears in (cheap and nasty) red wine. Thats the snob coming out in me but I remember this brand of goon back in the day when I made coke-a-goona (red cask wine mixed with coke) so poaching a pear in it brought back memories of being sweet sixteen again... not the sweetest memories coming to mind.

We also filleted fish then shallow poached it in homemade fish stock. I think I did quite well since I got four fillets out of my fish like we were meant to. The fish stock stunk... fishy. Last week was much more fun I am not going to deny that fact.

I bought cream, eggs and a vanilla pod the other day to practice making anglaise sauce at home for our practical exam which is after the holidays... fingers crossed I won't scramble it and can turn it into vanilla ice cream with our old ice cream maker! (any hints for making ice cream from scratch without a machine please spill!)

I'm back at college in another week and will be working my ever growing hynie off and also trying to try all the desserts at work. So far the Vanilla Panacotta is delicious :) I hope you all have a lovely Easter and the easter bunny visits! I made hot cross buns earlier this month - check them out!

Thanks for reading. Keep watching for more delicious and maybe not so delicious posts! Fingers crossed no more cheap and nasty wine poaching :)

2 comments:

  1. 1. coke-a-goon-a!!
    2. remember that droopy panacotta that looked like a nipple/polar bear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Sorry missy :)
    2. YES! haha I have the picture on my phone still!

    ReplyDelete